Hong Kong Journal of Emergency Medicine

Volume 9 Number 3, July 2002
Abstract

Respiratory distress after consumption of sea snails

CW Yuen and MH Ng

Consumption of shellfish is common in Hong Kong. However, some shellfish contain toxins which when ingested may lead to fatal toxicity. We report a case of paralytic shellfish poisoning presenting with throat discomfort progressing to respiratory distress and requiring intubation and mechanical ventilation. The patient recovered and was discharged 10 days after admission with no further complication. (Hong Kong j.emerg.med. 2002;9:159-161)

Keywords : Intensive care, intubation, paralytic shellfish, respiratory distress



Back to Previous Page